Thursday, March 8, 2012

Monogramming Everything





Hello My Lovely Readers,
For those of you who follow and have not already figured it out, Layth loves art. He loves anything that requires drawing, painting, cutting and constructing. And it seems that a bunch of scholars agree with his love for art, and thought I would share before proceeding with the blog post. According to PBS. org, " Creativity is the freest form of self-expression and, for children, the creative process is more important than the finished product. There is nothing more fulfilling for children than to be able to express themselves freely. The ability to be creative can do much to nurture your children's emotional health. All children need to be creative is the freedom to commit themselves to the effort and make whatever activity they are doing their own." With this knowledge a domestic goddess would be finding new and innovative ways to express her child's creativity, but since I am neither no where near nor dare to put myself in that category and am simply trying to acquire the " domestic diva" title, I found an innovative way that helps Layth with both learning his letters and spelling while still allowing him to express his creativity. While at Target the other day, Layth insisted upon me buying him these plastic foam letters that stick to any surface allowing you to personalize any item. Layth, on the other hand, was simply attracted to them because they were letters ( he loves anything involving letters and numbers). And so, here I was torn between simply buying them to satisfy my child or thinking of an activity of how we can use them. Without hesitating, I immediately thought we could monogram some cheap gift bags, and or some notebooks, anything that would allow Layth to use the letters without wasting them. So as we were making our way outside of Target, I stopped by the gift wrapping isle and bought some cheap gift bags. A domestic diva would have already had a surplus of gift bags and would not need to waste six dollars that could otherwise be spent on her Starbucks as she exited the store. But since I already had my Starbucks, I would not allow that fact get the best of me! Once the gift bags were purchased, the groceries were put away, immediately my little lion made his way to the table with the box of letters in tow, and started peeling them onto pieces of construction paper he saw lying around. While I could have allowed him to continue to waste the letters on construction paper that would eventually make their way to the trash, I dropped everything and grabbed the gift bags. Then I instructed him to hand me certain letters, as he peeled them and strategically placed them where I instructed him to do so. A few gift bags later, we have several birthday bags waiting to be used in the event we should be invited to a birthday party!!

No comments:

Post a Comment