Sunday, March 4, 2012

Layth's Nursery












Hey Ya'll,
I figured I'd greet you guys with some Southern jargon for ya, since we're about to leave the South and head out West! Trying to hide my Southern roots for so long and fight the accent, I decided why not embrace it! With so many labels out there, a label of a Southern Belle would be nice to uphold! Speaking of moving, I figured I would share with you guys the one room I am most proud of in the house we are about to leave behind. If you do not know the story behind our house, I will give you the brief version so you won't be spending forever reading this post. We purchased the house in the process of it being built, moved within weeks of completion, days within the move I left to go overseas, returned to Memphis, only to leave for six months to complete my degree in Wisconsin. Upon visiting Chafeek one weekend, I was greeted with every inch of the house painted with the exception of the two extra bedrooms, which were at the time being used as an office and a guest room. And so, when we were surprised with the news of the Layth's arrival, this was my opportunity to take control of the office and convert it into a nursery. First thing I had to do was get rid of the extra bed we had, where I stupidly typed in the wrong dollar amount onto the Craig's List ad, and the mattress and canopy both sold for twenty dollars flat. Secondly, we had to move the desk, filing cabinets and desktop into the loft. And lastly, get rid of anything in the room we did not want. It was useless to put the things into the attic since it meant having to empty the attic and throw them way upon moving. Now that the room was empty and ready for a makeover, we first had to determine a theme: a lion/jungle theme since Layth meant " baby lion." Secondly, work with Deborah Sykes ( our painter) on colors that would be gender neutral should we move out and other tenants wanted to use the room. Then, came determining the furniture. We opted not to purchase a glider, since we already had a brand new chaise not in use ( Until this day, Layth and I read books on it until he falls asleep near the window before converting him to his toddler bed), it also came in handy on those nights when I would fall asleep on the chaise and find myself waking up and it be morning! Once thee furniture was complete, came the decor and numerous trips to Babies " R" Us searching for items that best fit our theme. Everything was complete, but something was missing, a toy chest. We had received a portable monkey printed toy chest when was born, but we found better use for it downstairs where most of his toys are located. For the longest time, Layth's corner would cover the entire living room since his toys would be piled on top of each other. Moving the money toy " hamper" was a life safer!!! And then one day, when I least expected it, Zulily. com was having a special on hand painted children's furniture where I found that final piece, a hand painted wooden chest with animals imprinted upon them with same colors of his nursery. And so, now tears later, I am sharing with you, the one room in the house I am sad to leave behind: Layth's Nursery!

No comments:

Post a Comment