Sunday, May 6, 2012

Packing, Moving and Consignment Sales ( Wish I Participated in More of Them!)

Hello Everyone!
   With the move less than six weeks away, it seems that every spare moment we have is spent packing! And if we aren't packing, we're donating items to the school and/or thrift shops, selling things on Craig's List and participating in consignment sales. However, with the season for consignment sales being over, I've been taking my chances with " Once Upon a Child, and have not been too happy with the results. Since they sell everything for 70% less than what it retails for, and you only receive 1/3 of what they price it at, you're basically donating it with probably one or two dollars in your pocket for compensation. While I believe there are many moms in need of baby items for much less, if you are looking to cosign and make a profit from your children's gently used clothing, I'd wait to cosign in the consignment sales. Again, I do not have that option! But I have taken the liberty upon myself to start putting up  items on eBay and found myself making more profit than what I would otherwise receive  from Once Upon a Child or their sister store, Plato's Closet. And so, for all those moms who are looking to rid their closet of items and have time to spare, wait for the consignment sales. We, on the other hand, have been participating in endless charity drives, mostly to benefit the Syrian orphans, in hopes to rid ourselves of the weight ( I would love to keep every single item of Layth's since they do hold a special place in my heart). As a result, we have boxes  worth of clothing and toys making their way to Syria. But as this move draws nearer, I wish I had cosigned everything, since not everything sells in these sales. Instead I only gave what I could part with, or what I thought would sell. Next time I am taking the chance, and cosigning everything; particularly, since two movers have informed us the majority of our weight will be tied in clothing and baby items! It would definitely have made this move easier and allowed me to enjoy more of Memphis :)

No comments:

Post a Comment