Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Baking Brownie Cookie Bars

Hi Everyone!!!
The other day, Layth and I were craving brownies while shopping for his school supplies, when he stumbled upon Betty Crocker Brownie Cookie Mix; the box made them look so enticing. But of course, everything looks good when you're fasting. It also helped they had two education box tops, which would benefit his school the next day. And so, we bought them. Of course, we did not get to making them until the next day because we were going out for dinner that day. However, when it came to making them the next day Layth could not be more excited!! Immediately, when he saw me taking out the mixing bowls, Layth began saying, " Cookies, Cupcake": his two favorite things in the world! And when I reassured him we were making brownies, immediately he ran to the drawer where I keep my wooden spoons and grabbed one for himself. Of course, I had to grab one for myself and set those aside while I collected the other ingredients: flour, eggs, water and vegetable oil. With all the excitement, I forgot to add the water ( thankfully, it did not impact the taste, just made it harder to mix) and we began adding them into the mixing bowl. Layth, on the other hand, could not resist mixing along with me and dipping his finger every now and then into the batter to get a taste of the sweet chocolate. The instructions then called for us to mix the cookie mix separately and then pour the two mixtures on top of each other. For one mix I omitted the water, for the other one I added too much water ( I added 1/3 cup of water instead of 1/3 teaspoon) again, it did not impact the taste. I personally think it just balanced out the two mixes. The cookie mix, however, did not intrigue Layth so much as the brownie mix. So as I was mixing, Layth was taking his wooden spoon and taking tastes of the brownie batter. And as a result, my counter tops and little boy were covered in chocolate. Normally, I would be freaking out trying to clean the mess, I just laughed. It was simply precious! Layth, too, joined in with the laughter!!
Once we composed ourselves, and I cleaned up Layth, I went to grab my baking pan, where I saw Layth running to the drawer where I keep my oven mitts, grabbing two, and putting them on his own hands. As cute as he looked, it was hard telling him he could not be near the oven... while the brownie cookie bars tasted as great as packaged brownies can taste, the true delight was baking with my little lion!

No comments:

Post a Comment