Monday, April 4, 2011

The Saddest Day Thus Far



After months of researching and deliberating, the day had finally come to send my sweet Layth to school. Ideally, I wanted to send him to the Maria Montessori School which is just 1.75 miles away, but their waiting list was until March of 2011 when I began researching in October of 2010. I had found an alternate Montessori school in Midtown which goes by the name of Evergreen Montessori School, but didn't know of anyone who had sent their kids there. As a result, I had my reservations of sending Layth there; although, he seemed to fit right in when we went for a trial. Little did I know then, it would be the school Layth would eventually attend.
For years, residents and fellows alike had been regaling about the wonderful environment provided by the Maria Montessori School, which made it the obvious choice when it came down to send Layth to school. However, the tuition was a bit pricy, which made me reluctant to aggressively seek that Layth's name be on the waiting list. But when I found out, they had a half day option, I jumped on the opportunity of getting his name on the waiting list and researching the school and its teachers. The time is now November, and still the waiting list won't open until March. So, I thought to myself, " why not wait?". There was no harm in keeping Layth at home with me for a few more months, when in reality, it was the best decision ever made!! I love spending time with Layth!!! March came and went, and still Maria Montessori didn't have any openings. At this point, I decided to call back Evergreen Montessori to see if they still had an opening for Layth, and luckily, they had just one spot available. And so, today at 9 am I dropped off Layth at school. Expecting Layth to cry and cling on to me, he ran into the classroom and began playing with the toys, assuring me he was going to be fine. I, on the other hand, didn't take it so smoothly...the moment, I got into the car, my tears began building up only to be interrupted by Mercedes calling me wondering if I am still bringing my car in. Thankfully, I was able to compose myself and answer the phone. If it weren't for that phone call, I don't think I would have left the parking lot...now, I am anxiously awaiting until 12 to go pick him up. I thought I would get things done today while he was at school, and instead I'm eyeing the clock much like a predator watches his prey until it's 11:30 to pick him up.

No comments:

Post a Comment