Friday, March 11, 2011

Lazy Day Pot Roast


Hello My Lovely Readers,
I am in such a good mood today, because I attempted a rather difficult task: making a pot roast, and it was successful! The whole purpose of this blog was to motivate me into becoming a better housewife and an even better mom! I knew I would never be "super mom" but I do want to be better than the average mom. Layth, who has been nothing but a joy since he's been born, deserves it! And so, I was determined to venture beyond my comfort recipes and make a pot roast!
For days now, I have been searching for a Kosher pot roast when I finally stumbled upon one, the recipe called for a 4 lb pot roast, but since we were just two and a half people, I could make due with the 2.25 lb chuck pot roast I found. The recipe also called for the pot roast to be in the crock pot for 6-8 hours, and starting it at 2pm, kind of worried me. However, the boys were willing to wait when it was completed at 8:45 pm after being in the crock pot for close to seven hours! And the best part was seeing Layth digging his hands into the crock pot to attack the gravy!

Ingredients:
  • One 2.25 lb Kosher chuck pot roast, trimmed of all its fat
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
  • 4 large organic carrots, cut into thin pieces
  • 4 organic potatoes, cut into thin pieces
  • 1 yellow onion ( optional)
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 3 cups of water
  • 1/2 cup of vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons of butter
  • 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
  • Crock pot/slow cooker
Instructions:
1. Put the roast in the crock pot after sprinkling both sides with salt and pepper. Add the chopped carrots, potatoes, onion and bay leaves. Pour the water and vinegar over the meat and vegetables. Cover and cook on Low for 6-8 hours ( depending upon how soft you like your meat).
2. Transfer the meat and vegetables to a platter. And then, turn the cook onto " High" With the remaining liquid, you're going to make the very fattening gravy. First, you're going to mix the butter and flour until it becomes thick, which you will eventually transfer into the crock pot. Once the hot liquid, butter and flour are mixed together, wait until it becomes think and less clumpy before serving it as a gravy. And, the recipe is completed. It sounds a lot more complicated than it was to make it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment