Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Popsicle Making Fun ( or Mess?)

 Hello Everyone,
 Since being at my parents' house I found myself with a lot more time to find new activities to try with Layth, blog and spendtime with both friends and family. There is something about not having to worry about your average household duties that really allows you to spend more time on other things, such as, enjoying yourself ( a true domestic goddess would be shaking her head disapprovingly)! For instance, I was able to catch up on the last few months of Parent Magazine ( my parents got me a subscription when Layth was six months old) I had piling up on my coffee table  as we endured the stressful move out West. And it was through reading those expired May and June magazines I found an activity so eager to try with Layth: Fruit Popsicles. Even throughout the whole process, my excitement level was much higher thanthat of  Layths', who was more interested in pressing buttons and eating the fruit! Nonetheless, it was a new experience for the both of us, and something I intend on doing over and over again; particularly, on a hot day! Before we got started, we had to run to the grocery store to stock up on a few things ie. all the materials needed to make the popsicles. While at Winn Dixie, we stumbled upon these plastic portable push up pops, intended for making ice cream cones and saving them for later." I found these to be more practical then your average wooden popsicle sticks, since it  allows the popsicles to mold into some kind of form and make less of a mess. My only regret was we did not buy more of them! I had initially bought two four packs and then returned a pack before we even got started ( we ended up making more than had expected). The bananas, strawberrries, vanilla yogart and honey were all quick to find since they were conveniently located right next to each other. Upon arriving home, eager to get started, Layth began taking out the fruit. And so, as you could imagine, while I ws doing all the cutting and the measurements, Layth treated himself to strawberries! Of course, since I was cooking in a kitchen unfamiliar to me, it took me some time to search for my parents' blender. But instead stumbled upon, " The Magic Bullet." I'd seen their advertisements countless times, but never thought to actually purchase one. This was my chance to see if it was really worth all the hype. And naturally, my parents had not yet used it, lol. In which, I do not know why, becuase it really was as simple advertised. It simplyrequires you to place your ingredients into one of the many different sized containers provided,  put it on the machine and push it down until your satisfied. It's also tidier, smaller and quieter! Layth, too, enjoyed being able to push down on the blender and feel as though he were really in control. And so, naturally, the ingredients were already cut and put into the container as they were being mixed. Within five minutes we were pouring the smoothie like mixture into the push pop containers and capping them off and placing them into the freezer. They remained in the freezer until it was iftaar time ( time to break the fast) and were immediately brought out. Of course, reluctant to try them, I had mom try one first, and when I had her seal of approval, I went on to have one of my own. Layth, on the other hand, was almost done attacking his when I had my first bite, reassuring me it was actually edible! Much to my surprise, it was really good. It reminded me of the strawberry fruit bars we would purchase at Magic Kingdom when we could go to Walt Disney World. Therefore if you're looking for something fun to do on a fun day, make popsicles!

Things You'll Need:
  • One Tb of Vanilla Lowfat Yogart
  • One Tb of Sugar or Honey
  • A Cup Full of Freshly Cut Strawberries
  • Two Bananas
  • Magic Bullet/Blender
  • Popsicle Sticks
Diretions:
  • Cut up the fruit
  • Pour all the ingredients into the blender and mix until your satisfaction
  • Pour into cups, molds
  • Place popsicle sticks in the center
  • Freeze for about 1-2 hours
  • Eat and Enjoy

 Ingredients

 The Push Up Pops

Getting Ready to Use The Magic Bullet


2 comments:

  1. Aha, where is the final product? Nice idea though! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't get Layth to allow me to take a picture of the final product. Each time I tried to snap a photo of either my mom or Layth eating it, they wouldn't let me! Next time :)

    ReplyDelete