Saturday, August 25, 2012

Sugar Cookie Mess

Hello Everyone,
  I want to first say, that for all of you who despise baking, " I don't blame you!" If it were up to me I'd rather stock up on all the processed Pillsbury cookie dough and allow my body to consume all the artifical products than make my own batter and bake cookies. My helper, Layth, on the other hand, would disgree since making our own batter meant more time spent in the kitchen. Yes, I know,it sounds weird, but my little lion is destined to become a baker since he'll take out the Baker's Joy, the Pillsbury Cookie Dough and insist he wants to make cookies. And so, when I was asked to make a batch of forty homemade cookies for a cookie exchange, I was presented with a challenge. I figured chocolate chip cookies would already be taken by the other moms participating, and refused to allow myself to butcher them should they have turned out unedible. As a result, I went to even simpler, and choose sugar cookies. The forgotten cookies that usually present themselves around Christmas time or birthday parties. I figured their ingredients were simple: vanillla extract, butter, flour, eggs, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. The directions were even simpler: add the ingredients, stir until the batter is thick, roll them up, and put them in the oven. Of course, with ingredients this simple I still managed to mess it up. After running to both Trader Joes and Safeway ( surprisingly, baking soda and baking flour are seasonal items at Trader Joes), to get the ingredients, it was time to tackle our
adventure in the kitchen. Layth, so eager to begin, began craking the eggs into the bowl, and opening up the flour. Considering we had never worked with flour together, he did not anticipate the flour getting everywhere when he inconveniently decided to tear it open fromthe side. Seeing the mess, he apologized all while throwing it everywhere insisting it was snowing. That should have been our red flag to stop while we were still ahead and apologize to the other moms and back out of the cookie exchange. But I was determined, I did not want other self-proclaimed domestic goddesses looking at me in shame for having given up so quickly. However, I don't know how they would have reacted had they seen how my kitchen was covered in flour as well my son. Layth's hair, which usually ranges from light to dark brown, now looked like he had recently gotten gray highlights. And if only Layth had agreed to remain in the mess until it was time to bathe him my problems would have been much less, instead he decided to shake his head until he believed his hair was rid of the flour insisting it was dirty. I should at least get points from domestic goddesses for teaching my son the difference between clean and dirty. After mixing all the ingredients together, and having given up hope of ever having a clean kitchen during this whole process, it came to stir. Since the batter was now thick, Layth insisted his arm hurt from mixing it, and so, I took over. So consumed with mixing the batter, I forgot to add the bowl of other ingredients. Needless to say, my first batch of cookies tasted like pure flour according to my husband. I was also informed that vanilla extract is made purely of bourbon, and since these cookies required to be alchol free, it was a good thing my first batch turned out horribly.  Determined to at least seek the approval of other domestic goddesses, I choose to do another batch. Having already known the routine, Layth insisted upon still helping me. But this time, he decided to eat the batter. Here I was mixing the thick batter, and Layth was eating it. Between trying to sneak licks and avoid him from double dipping into the batter, his hair now had gray highlights and batter. The batter, on the other hand, was far worse since it stuck his curls together. All while, my husband, Chafeek kept telling me to apologize and tell them I cannot do it. A domestic goddess does not back out of her commitments, and neither was I. Six batches later, a kitchen covered in flour, and a little lion, who was in desperate need of a bath, my cookies were edible. The shape, on the other hand, did not resemble your typical large soft sugar cookies. Instead they resemebled macaroons! So worried the other moms would be dissuade from trying them based upon their shape, I decided to test them out on some one other than Chafeek. The next morning, before the cookie exchange, I walked over to the lot next door, which was still being built, and offered a batch of cookies to the construction workers. And as you can imagine, they all exchanged looks, as though I were the wicked witch in Snow White offering them poisoned cookies. I insisted they were organic, and I had made too much, which was true. It was only required of me to make 40, I made 60. They still weren't convinced. Layth, on the other hand, asked if he could have some cookies, and when I saw they weren't budging, I agreed.  I believe it was Layth's reaction to his cookie, " yum, it's good" that really convinced the workers to take the cookies I'd offered. I still do not know what they thought of them, but know none of them were diagnosed of food poisoning as a result of consuming them. It finally came time for the cookie exchange, and thankfully, I did not come home with any of my own cookies. They were such a success with the other children, which should be enough to convine me to want to make them again. However, I just need to think of them mess they caused, should I change my mind and bake them again!

Ingredients:
  1. 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  2. 1 teaspoon baking soda
  3. 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  4. 1 cup butter, softened
  5. 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  6. 1 egg
  7. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets.
  3. Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.

 Mixing the batter
 Starting to get a little tired
 Trying to steal licks from the batter ( we didn't end up using this one, because I'd forgotten to put eggs!)
 The intolerable batter
The final batch of cookies

 

1 comment:

  1. Lol! As long as the construction workers showed up the following day you know they weren't toxic! A very cute read and Layth is adorable mA!

    ReplyDelete