Thursday, August 2, 2012

Pizaookies...yum!!

 Hello Everyone,
 Since having come back from ummrah, I have taken a short hiatus from my adventures in cooking and making a mess in the kitchen. Being my at my parents house and my fear of messing up their kitchen largely contributed to that short break. Again, I say, " short break" since yesterday I decided to continue my adventures and attempt a homemade " pizocookie" out of Pillsbury Cookie Dough. For those of you unfamiliar with the term " Pizookie", it is the new age term for one of the best desserts in the world. It combines the two words pizza and cookie together to describe it characteristics. It is the size of a pizza, with the great taste of a cookie. I wish I was the genius who came up with dessert and coined the term, but unfortunately, that term belongs to BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse  where they began serving the famous cookie cake as their signature dessert. However, that doesn't stop many other restaurants and amateur chefs like myself from attempting the warm, delicious dessert. And so, yesterday hours before dinner I was determined to make my very own pizookie from Pillsbury cookie dough ( the only cookie dough I could get my hands on, since I don't know how to make my own). In order to complete this task I had to take Layth aka " the little lion" on a quick trip to the grocery store to grab a few things, a disposable foil pie tray, a pint of  Vanilla Haagen Dazs, and of course, Pillsbury Cookie Dough. Layth was excited to go grocery shopping regardless of how short the trip was since it implied he could ride the Car shaped grocery car. With just an hour left to dinner time, I could not have been more excited to tackle my dessert making adventure. Layth was also excited because it meant he could steal a few bites of cookie dough as  it was being prepared. My dad aka " the master chef" of the Obid Casa insisted I was making it too complicated as he saw me preparing the kitchen. First, I preheated the oven to 350, then it came to prepare the cookie dough. Normally, I would just spread it across the pan, but the instructions called for it to be thick, so I had to layer it as though I were making a pie. Of course, Layth did not disappoint as my helper trying to steal bites of the cookie dough. After laying it on thick, it was time to put the dough in the oven, and had to make sure it went in for only 12 minutes rather than the standard 18 minutes it calls for on the package. And so, at 11 minutes I was watching the clock like a hawk, determined I would not mess this up or burn it for that matter. Thankfully, my inner predatory skills kicked in, and pulled out the tray in time enough. My dad kept insisting I was reading the recipe wrong, but kept reassuring him I was not. And then, it came for the final ingredient, adding two scoops of ice cream on the warm partially cooked cookie dough.  Although I will still be running to restaurants ordering pizookies, I was shockingly not disappointed in my own attempt at making the dessert. My parents were not the biggest fans, but Layth, Randa and I were since we devoured it in minutes...well almost, we left the hard outer crust! We had to leave room for our dinner!

 Before the pie went into the oven
 Fresh out of the oven
 The final product

No comments:

Post a Comment