Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Ice Cream, Fruit, Chocolate, Cake: Exquisite Dessert

Hello Everyone,
   Over the past few weeks, the little lion and I, have been privileged enough to try different foods and desserts of all sorts largely in part of our endless traveling, something that has come at the unfortunate cost of living out of suit cases ( something I would not necessarily recommend with a toddler).  And one dessert we came across while on one of our trips was this combination of candy bars, fruit, cake and ice cream, or in other words, what my cousin calls " fruit salad."
While on vacation to my parents' house in Panama City, we were surprised with my cousin Maher and his wife, Lina's visit ( apparently, someone had forgotten to give us the memo they were coming to visit). Being their visiting from Damascus, they insisted they stay on the beach; personally, I do not blame them. And so, it was planned that Layth and I would spend the day with them on the beach and later accompany them for lunch. Given it was scorching hot that day, it was only complimentary we would have ice cream as dessert. Lunch was great, something my mouth hasn't had  in a long time, rice with grilled mushrooms, but it was the dessert that really awakened my senses. When Lena insisted she serve me ice cream, I expected maybe a traditional one or two scoops of ice cream served in either a dish or cone. But when I saw both Lina and Maher preparing it, I knew I was in store for a surprise. First, Lena served three scoops of ice cream, vanilla, chocolate and strawberry respectively, while Maher, took Crunch and Kit Kat Bars and cut them into small individual pieces. Then came the cutting of the fruits, strawberries, pineapples and bananas. Once the fruits were cut and topped onto the ice cream, came the individual chocolate pieces. The presentation was immaculate, but the taste was even better. It awakened tastes I also had not had in a long time. Of course, Lena insisted there was more to dessert when she cut up a slice of yellow flavored bunt cake and instructed me to put the the scoop of dessert on top. Expecting I would go into sugar coma or my taste buds to react vigorously, I was shockingly surprised: the dessert left me wanting more. Lina insisted it was no trouble at all as she continued making the dessert for Layth as well. Normally, I would not allow the little lion to be exposed to as much sugar, but I could not let his taste buds miss out on this exquisite dessert.  He, too, agreed, it would be dessert we would definitely be having again. And, we did! The following afternoon, when we went to visit for a walk on the beach, Lina had that same dessert awaiting us!


Ingredients:
  • Ice Cream
  • Mini Crunch Bars
  • Mini Kit Kat Bars
  • Whoppers ( Chocolate Malt Balls)
  • Cake ( optional)
  • Strawberries
  • Bananas
  • Pineapples

The Dessert
Lena and Maher Preparing the Dessert
Lena and Maher
The Main Dish



No comments:

Post a Comment