Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Retuning to Cooking

Hello Everyone,
If I have not already driven you crazy with complaints and updates surrounding this move, here is some more news regarding that same subject! For the last month, aside from making Layth his quick meals, I have been giving my pots and pans a rest as they have sat comfortably clean in my cabinets. Even when we were busy trying to empty our fridge, freezer and panty, we made sure we only had a few pots out before packing up the rest. And then when Chafeek's mom ( we could not have survived this move without her) came to help with Layth as we prepared for the move, she also did some late " spring cleaning" with my pots and pans, throwing out some she thought had already reached their final cooking days. Her visit also allowed me to focus on packing, taking Layth out and cleaning as she took care of the kitchen duties. But now, two weeks after arriving in California, I have to face reality: If I am not going to cook, we are simply going to eat frozen or processed dinner meals and pack on the pounds. And since I am not a fan of either one, the pounds or the frozen dinners, I choose today to be creative. Normally, I try and do all my cooking while Layth is taking his afternoon nap, but since he is still adjusting to his new schedule with this two hour time change, I choose to employ him as my helper. Layth, of course, found it funner to break the spaghetti noodles in half and make letters on the floor ( anything to keep them occupied, right?) leaving me to go about making the spaghetti. As the noodles were boiling, and Layth engaged in his letter making, I went to go see how creative I can get with the food I had in my fridge when I stumbled upon a pack of organic cherry red tomatoes. Again, I am not a fan of cooking, so I could have gotten more creative, but instead, choose to make the tomatoes my main ingredient. Slowly, I cut the tomatoes, and sautéed them in olive oil for 20 minutes adding both a teaspoon of basil and a teaspoon of garlic. Once they were done grilling and the noodles boiling, I drained the noodles mixed them with in a tablespoon of olive oil before emptying the tomatoes with the oil into the noodles. And to top it off, I added some fresh parmesan cheese for flavor. I know you must be thinking that is a lot of oil for one dish, but I promise you it is delicious!! It also helped me to score some points in the domestic goddess department, since I'm failing miserably!!!

My final product
The tomatoes as they sautee in the olive oil

No comments:

Post a Comment