Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Fassoliya- Layth's new favorite dish!

Hello Everyone,
Yesterday, I decided to prepare one of the first dishes I learned to make since becoming " Layth's mom" that being fasooliya. In other words, stewed beef with green beans marinated in tomato sauce. Normally, this dish is made to be served with rice, but my little lion, decided to eat it as a soup. He couldn't get enough of the soft green beans, which did not surprise me since he loved pureed green beans as an infant. A dish I expected to last us the course of two days, ended up finishing that evening! I was pleased, but a bit annoyed, because it meant I had to cook today! Since many of you already know how to prepare the dish, I am just going to simplify the preparation.

Ingredients:
  • 1 can of Hunts Tomato Sauce
  • 1 Vegetable Bullion Cube
  • 1 pack of frozen cut green beans
  • 1 pound of stewed beef
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/4 teas of pepper
  • 3-4 cups of water ( enough to cover the meat)
Preparation:
First, you will need to add the meat and pour enough water to cover the meat. Bring the meat to a boil, which usually takes 10-15 minutes. Upon boiling, reduce the heat to medium and allow it to sit for 45 minutes ( this gives time for the meat to soften). The key to this recipe is to make both your meat and vegetables soft. As your waiting, this gives you time to do other things, such as, read a book or in my case, play with Layth!!
Thirty minutes later, add the vegetables, the tomato sauce, and the spices, and allow it to sit for thirty minutes. Depending upon the time, I usually bring everything to a boil before reducing the heat to medium. But today, I had to shave fifteen minutes off the recipe because I started it late, and just kept everything on medium. Worried it would not taste as good, I had my own apprehensions. However, Layth had three servings of the stew, and that is when I knew those extra fifteen minutes did not matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment