Monday, October 19, 2015

Phoenix Fashion Week

Hello Everyone,
 I am deviating away just a bit from blogging about my adventures in motherhood to blog about my other favorite, Fashion! Not many of you know this about me, but I was briefly enrolled in fashion school, before declining and choosing to pursue my English degree. It was a dream that was never fulfilled, but do not regret. As the fashion industry is a very cut throat business that does not just require all of your time and effort, but a significant financial backing. And so, I have learned to appreciate it from the other side, the consumer side! Since moving to Phoenix, I have had to downscale my style and my love for designer items quite a bit, as I have found it to be under appreciated in Phoenix. It is also too hot and too casual of an environment to always leave the house with a full face of make up and heels. And, I won't lie, I have learned to appreciate being a "basic girl" where my everyday wardrobe consists of jeans, a t-shirt and flip flops ( I have to stay true to myself, and opt for Tory Burch choose flip-flops).  However, this past weekend, it seems the jeans and flip-flops disappeared when I attended the runway final for Phoenix Fashion Week. Having fallen on the same week as Paris Fashion Week, it made it that more exciting to want to attend the event. I knew being able to attend all days of the events would be next to impossible as the Mr. still does not quite understand my love for fashion. It would also imply that for three full days, my days would consist of attending shopping events, lectures and runway shoes, who would not want that? Maybe, in my past life before motherhood defined me. So I knew I had to wisely choose which event I wanted to attend, and the runway finale it became. I also knew two designers I had kept in touch with from the previous Phoenix fashion event would be debuting that evening and wanted to go and show my support. One designer, Azmara Asefa, created this sack dress which she debuted at the last even that I just could not get out of my mind. Needless to say, I purchased it before making my way to my seat to watch the show. As I was sitting, taking each designers' pieces with awe, I see Kym Gold, the co-founder of True Religion wearing the same dress with a pair of Christian Louboutins I knew there was something special about that dress. Even though she did not win " Best New Emerging Designer" as I  had hoped for, it was inspiring to learn 10% of each garment she sells goes as donation toward refugees.  The winner, Hues of Ego, another designer, I purchased from  had on of best runway shows I have yet to witness.Not that I have gone  to many, but opening up the runway show with a ballerina and a slow alternative version to Beyonce and Jay-Z's " Crazy in Love" is always a brilliant idea. Immediately, I knew we were in for a delight. Each piece had an avant garde aspect to them, but still retained this sense of sophistication and elegance. A couple of weeks back, I saw she had a leather skirt as part of her collection, and through collaborating with her, we were able to create a longer skirt with a zipper slit, should I choose to wear the skirt with or without it. Excited as I was to receive it, I no longer fit into it, as my measurements have changed. Although I do not see the numbers on the scales changing, this skirt is prove the weight is disappearing somewhere. Once the winners were announced for "Best Emerging Designer", the show continued with the couture shows, and one designer I fell in love was with Kuwaiti designer Design ME. The silhouettes of each garnet reminded me of Sex and the City meets the 80's. I loved how he structurally architected each piece for the sophisticated modern woman. It would be such an honor to get my hands on one of those pieces. And with that concludes my Phoenix Fashion Week experience, and I am happy I acquired two runway pieces that now make my closet home. I am definitely looking forward to what next year has to bring!




Day 1 of the three day event!


Necklace: Beltshazzar of St Louis ( official accessory designer for Phoenix Fashion Week)
Top: BCBG by Max Azria
Jeggings: BCBG by Max Azure
Scarf: Kinza Scarves
Purse: Tory Burch
The show is about to begin 

A preview of Desin ME's collection

With the designer Azmara Asefa herself wearing her prototype sack dress design 
Kym Gold, the co-founder of True Religion, in Azmara's sack dress awarding  Natasha Duran-Lynch, the founder of Hues of Ego, with Best New Emerging Designer 

It was quite the treat to see Natasha open up her Hues of Ego show with a ballerina



Catching in the finale show
Outfit Details:
Dress: BCBG by Max Azria
Scarf: Kinza Scarves 


No comments:

Post a Comment