Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Layth and the Potty

I am just giving an update on our potty training adventures after mentioning we had begun the process a few months ago, and I would like to say, we are almost there minus a few night time accidents every now and then!! It has been an adventure, but one I know every parent must go through! First of all, I would like to give a personal thanks to Evergreen Montessori for assisting in the process by insisting he come to school in underwear and remain in underwear throughout the day, except at nap time where they switch them into pull ups. Pull ups, that is something I have a mixed opinion about since Layth viewed them as a more comfortable diaper. He enjoyed the fact he didn't have to lay flat to have them changed and instead could remove them himself while easily standing up. The only time he would inform me of a possible accident is if they leaked since they are not made to absorb much. Nonetheless, it helped to introduce him to the idea of being wet outside of a diaper. And so, after months of pull ups, I decided to transition him strictly to underwear. I will not lie and say it was easy, it was definitely an adventure from reading his body gestures, to timing when he had his last drink to making sure we put him on any potty we came by, and packing my baby bag with three or four different changes of clothes. I think Layth, himself, enjoyed the adventure because it meant endless treats to be rewarded when he would use the potty, and seeing mommy run in panic each time he would say "pee." Even until this day when he tells me " pee" Layth still gets excited since using the potty has become synonymous with treats. It is just difficult because when he does in fact tell me " pee" it usually implies " mom right now, and no, I can't wait." But anything is better than diapers! It also means less time spent in the women's bathroom, less money spent on both diapers and wipes and more room in my baby bag or in my case, I can actually start carrying a purse again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment