Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Shrimp in a Dates and Tamarind Sauce

Hello Everyone,
So after a short hiatus from blogging and venturing into cooking, I decided I would try my best to do a weekly post. This way I won't feel I've abandoned my newest project, and can at least allow myself one new recipe a week. Lately, what has captured my attention is Halloween! I love this time of the year, all the different pumpkin patches there is to visit, the scarecrows, and all the Halloween themed parties; it could not get any better. It also gives me many different activities to do with Layth rather than having to recycle between CMOM, the Memphis Zoo, and the Botanical Gardens. Speaking of which, I have been so busy trying to find a new babysitter for Layth that I feel all my afternoons spent at home have been occupied with interviewing babysitters, for just an occasional night out with the hubby or in this month's case, a Halloween party! And so, that has left little or no time to venture out and try a new recipe, which is why I choose to try a new marinade, Stonehouse 27: dates and tamarind cooking sauce I purchased from the local grocery store, Miss Cordelias. It was located under the " Local Favorites" isle when I decided it would be something new, quick and simple. All I needed to do was grill whatever it was I was going to marinade in a skillet over medium heat and then reduce the heat, add the marinade, and allow it to simmer. So when I had gotten home I scanned the freezer, took out some shrimp that were ready to be cooked i.e. tails already off, took out a skillet and some olive oil. I grilled the shrimp over medium heat until they were no longer pink and more of a reddish color before adding the marinade and covering the mixture. I was a bit skeptical of how well it would taste, particularly since I had never tasted the marinade. And within fifteen minutes, I was pleasantly surprised, it tasted delicious. Chafeek preferred to eat the shrimp over rice, Layth decided the marinade was too spicy for his liking, and just I liked the shrimp ala carte. It was/is the perfect idea if I am ever in a hurry again, I just need to go Miss Cordelia's and stock up!

And in case you're interested here is the link:http://www.stonehouse27.com/Low_Sodium_Gluten_Free_Dates_Tamarind_p/00904.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment